MEMORY VERSE: Genesis 1:22 KJV
And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
BIBLE TEXT : Genesis 2:20-24 KJV
And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.  And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon
Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;  And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.  And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.  Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Marriage was instituted by God. The reasons for marriage are
- To multiply
- To help each other
- To avoid fornication.
Marriage is very important. Study has shown that a married person is 40% happier than a single person under normal circumstances. Many homes are broken due to wrong sequential observation of the
parameters to be considered before choosing a life partner. We will be using Isaac and Rebecca as examples in this study. The parameters to be considered for choosing a life partner are categorized into two. They are:
(I) Time and Prayer
(II) Foreseen Desired qualities
(III) Required Qualities
(I) Time and Prayer: Abraham understood it was I time he chose for his son and his servant prayed for a sign and confirmation. Genesis 24:1,12-14 KJV.
And Abraham was old, and well stricken in age: and the Lord had blessed Abraham in all things.  And he said, O Lord God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.  Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water:  And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby
shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master. You must decern the right time and pray for the right person.
(II) Foreseen Desired Qualities: These are the things you see in a man or woman that makes you think he or she has your desired qualities even at the first sight.
- WHERE TO CHOOSE: Genesis 24:3-4 KJV, “And I will make thee swear by the Lord , the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:  But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.
You must choose from the right place. Don’t just marry from anywhere, choose your partner from among the children of God
- PHYSICAL APPEARANCE : Genesis 24:15-16 KJV ,”And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham’s brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder.  And the damsel was very fair to look upon, a virgin, neither had any man known her: and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up.”
That expression “very fair to look upon” means she was beautiful. You must be satisfied with her beauty or his handsomeness. He or she doesn’t has to be a slay mama or a slay papa. If you try to deal with a person you cannot control you have already failed from the beginning. Don’t just marry anybody.
- MORAL: Genesis 24:16-22 KJV, “And the damsel was very fair to look upon, a virgin, neither had any man known her: and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up.  And the servant ran to meet her, and said, Let me, I pray thee, drink a little water of thy pitcher.  And she said, Drink, my lord: and she hasted, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink.  And when she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw water for thy camels also, until they have done drinking.  And she hasted, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw water , and drew for all his camels.  And the man wondering at her held his peace, to wit whether the Lord had made his journey prosperous or not.  And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden earring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten shekels weight of gold.”
Good manners are very important in a woman’s life. What Rebecca did was what Abraham’s eldest servant desired. If she doesn’t have good manner it won’t really have helped her in future.
- READINESS AND SUBMISSION / LOVE: Genesis 24:22 KJV And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden earring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of
ten shekels weight of gold. Genesis 24:49 KJV And now if ye will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me: and if not, tell me; that I may turn to the right hand, or to the left.
Rebecca accepted the proposal. If a man or woman will not marry you, don’t waste your time and resources.
(III) Required Parameters: These are parameters that are required in order to have a happy home.
- KNOW HIM OR HER INTIMATELY BEFORE YOU GO TOO FAR: Genesis 24:23 – 33 KJV And said, Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee: is there room in thy father’s house for us to lodge in?
- LET YOUR FAMILY KNOW HIM OR HER BEFORE YOU GO TOO FAR : Genesis 24:67 KJV And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah’s tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.
Marriage is very beautiful and lovely only when you are with the right person. Before embarking in the journey of marriage make sure God is at the center of it all. God bless you.